(vanity + boredom)*something I should be doing =

at 21:52

Thursday 16 August 2007

Listage!

Yep that's right, I should in fact be reading up for my interview tomorrow but instead I'm watching Supernatural and blogging. So here for your enjoyment are the answers to 38 questions about me (the source they were ripped from was helpfully provided by Vermillion). Enjoy.

1. When you're home alone, do you still close the door when you go to the bathroom?

Yep, and I lock it. I live with flatmates, they have keys, and boyfriends. You can see where this is going.

2. If you have to go grocery shopping, would you rather go alone or with someone?

Alone, foraging for food is a solo activity although I always come back with treats.

3. It's your best friend's birthday, do you buy them a gift even though they didn't buy you one for yours?

We normally all agree to either buy gifts or none of us do, although if I see something they’ll really like then I’ll definitely buy it for them – doesn’t have to be a birthday though.

4. You win the lottery. Lump sum or small payments over a period of time?

Lump sum = bankruptcy within less than a year. I am terrible with money, if it’s in my bank account I will spend it. I feel that small payments are really my only option.

5. Do you like your music loud or at a reasonable level?

Normally at a reasonable level. Unless I’m exercising, pissed off or upset in which case I want to blast it out as loudly as is humanly possible. Normally there’s singing involved.

6. Are you a beach person or a snowy mountain person?

I’m a snowy mountain person all the way. I do not do well in the heat. The second it gets over 25 degrees I start bitching and whining. I cannot do summer elegance by a long shot.

7. When do you brush your teeth?

Before leaving the house in the morning and before going to bed at night. Unless I’m coming home drunk in which case make-up stays on, earrings stay in and teeth remain un-brushed.

8. Can you watch scary movies alone?

Indeed I can for I am not an 8-year-old girl. I did slightly freak myself out by watching the original Ring movie on an unmarked VHS tape that my friend had recorded for me, though. That screws with your head.

9. Soft bed or firm?

Firm, anything else screws with my back.

10. Would you rather stay home all day, or be out and about with some friends?

Out and about with some friends. I do enjoy spending time alone at home but its normally through laziness. Once someone drags me out of the house I normally end up thoroughly enjoying myself even if I really didn’t want to go at first. Plus there are boys in the outside world. And beer.

11. What's one of your worst memories?

Being exploded. Oh OK, that’s too melodramatic I mean “in an explosion”. That’s one of my very favourite “bad parenting” stories – I’ll so a series on “why I no longer speak to my deadbeat father” at some point in the future, this anecdote’s the highlight (although technically this one wasn’t his fault, he was just a douche in the aftermath). For the record: No, I’m not horrifically scarred. Yes, I do have an unhealthy fascination with fire now.

12. Do you like to keep the peace or be confrontational?

I tend to keep the peace amongst my friends purely for an easy life, drama tends to irritate me unless I’m being told about it in the third person. If someone steps out of line concerning either myself or one of my loved ones then I won’t hold back. I am snippy and sarcastic with strangers on a daily basis during rush hour, I owe these people nothing and they annoy me.

13. Are you more likely to be with a large group of people or a few close friends?

I’m more likely to be with a big group socially – normally my close friends are in it. I’m at my best with an audience, the drama queen in me likes to play to a crowd. At home I’m normally hanging out with my flatmates.

14. What are your plans for October?

Well, hopefully a new job is in the works if my interview tomorrow (which I’m supposed to be reading up for right now as a matter of fact) goes as planned. I’d be starting at the beginning of October. Between now and then I’m moving to a new flat, saying goodbye to some friends and celebrating my birthday. Fun month.

15. If money were not a problem, where would you like to live?

I’m crazily in love with London even after four years of living here, ideally I’d like to stay but in a nicer apartment. New York looks like it might be fun too. I’d definitely need to live somewhere urban with shops, seasons, art galleries and good restaurants.

16. Are you close to your Mum and Dad?

I haven’t spoken to my father in over 7 years, not through lack of trying on his part. My mother and I speak on the phone at least once a day (I get very bored being on my own and so tend to call people if I’m not watching TV or playing video games, she gets fed up of being trapped in a house with a teenager –it’s a good arrangement.) I’m ludicrously close to my Stepfather too.

17. What is one fear that you can't seem to overcome?

I am terrified of being cut or stabbed. Surgery freaks me the hell out especially if it’s under local anaesthetic and injections have me literally crying with fear. It’s way too much of a violation for my liking and the thought of it makes my skin crawl. Tattoos don’t bother me because the needle only goes into the skin superficially. Piercings however freak me the fuck out. Getting my lip done was the scariest experience of my life and I spent an hour in the chair psyching myself up before I could even let the woman near me. Essentially I like the fact that my blood is on the inside and I’d like to keep it that way.

18. Are you good at maths?

For a “normal person”? Yes. For a scientist? No.

19. Do you kiss on a first date?

I’ve never actually been on a first date with someone I haven’t already kissed so it would be kind of strange not to.

20. Is there anyone that you regret ever meeting?

Nope. Even my most hideous ex-boyfriend had his advantages.

21. Rate your life on a scale from 1 to 10.

8.5

22. Would you rather have roommates or live alone?

Roommates, I get really lonely by myself. Even if I spend the entire weekend holed up in my room with a book I like being able to go and knock on someone’s door if I need something. My flatmates are very easy to live with too, I’ve had roommates that I didn’t get on with at all and some that I just couldn’t stand to live with but once you find the right people it’s just dandy.

23. Do you like any of your friends a little more than just a friend?

Indeed I do, I have a crush on an adorable geek but he’s not interested. Ah well, such is life.

24. Do you like to drive?

I can’t drive, terrible I know. I will learn at some point. Honest.

25. Do you hate anyone at the moment?

See above re: awful father.

26. Do you give money to homeless people when they ask?

No, never. I do however buy coffee or a sandwich on occasion.

27. A weekend in Las Vegas or Miami?

Tricky one. Miami if you can get me an appointment at a tattoo parlour, Vegas if I get to heckle Celine Dion.

28. When you go to the store, do you have a list or just buy random things?

I have a list, when I shop then I shop properly. I do tend to deviate though.

29. What do you wear to sleep in?

Depends on the season and who’s currently staying in my flat. Normally a nightdress or hotpants and a vest.

30. You have 3 months left to live, what do you do?

Get very, very, very drunk. I’m sure there’s something meaningful I could be doing but seriously: you’ve just told me I’m doomed before Christmas. Cut me a little slack.

31. You're having a bad day, what's one thing can make your day better?

Going to the cinema and losing myself in a movie.

32. Tanning beds?

Are the work of Satan and should be banned. I can see no earthly reason why they exist.

33. Is there anything you would change about your body if you could?

I’d lengthen my legs by about 4 inches, give myself some cheekbones and tone up my arms. The last one I probably could do something about but I’m too damned lazy to.

34. You wake up in an unfamiliar place, what is your first reaction?

Aw man! Again?

35. Is there anything that you should be doing right now?

Reading about the expression patterns of KCNV2, refreshing my knowledge of bioinformatic genetic analysis and re learning the developmental stages of the Xenopus oocyte. Not much.

36. If there was a way to know when and how you're going to die, would you want that information?

No way. I know me, I’d completely give up.

37. What is your favourite breakfast food?

My mother’s traditional English pancakes with sugar and lemon juice. Yummy. A fry up is never going to get old.

38. It's 4am, and your phone is ringing, who would it be?

My flatmate who’s woken up at the end of the bus route again, my flatmate’s boyfriend wondering where she is, my friend Ade telling me he’s pulled or someone who’s phone has switched on in their pocket. A startling number of people call me at 4am.


And that's me in a nutshell. Interesting or not so interesting there it is, in my defense I kept getting distracted by Jensen Ackles.

3 comments:

VermillionBrain said...

I now regret giving you that link, for it has only led to more heartache for me.

:(

Carrie said...

I came over here through Vermillion's site, and I just wanted to let you know there's nothing wrong with being distracted by Jensen Ackles. I honestly don't know how he looks in the mirror without just wanting to sit and stare at himself all day, he's so damn pretty.

Unknown said...

Carrie, I completely agree. I'm a sucker for big brown eyes.

Vermillion, you both confuse and amuse me. I didn't realise exactly what about me being a short, neurotic who is terrible with money and borderline alcoholic could possibly be alluring until I read your blog. I've said it once and I'll say it again: you are a strange, strange boy.