tuesday morning D&M

at 12:31

Tuesday 18 September 2007

I'm in a self-analysing mood at the moment and lacking a digital camera, scanner or any other gizmo to make my post more entertaining than it currently is we're left with only my words to provide diversion. About this I am very, truly sorry. Today's post is one of big questions and fairly intense introspection. Again, I'm sorry.

I'm in one of my "happiness in blue" moods at the moment so forgive the semi-morose tone of my post. My very mild synesthaesia means that I associate colours with almost everything, days, numbers, pieces of music (although that's more of a dynamic thing) and also emotions. Those who know me well instinctively understand my happiness scale based on what colour I'm feeling - happiness in pink is the scary one, it's brightly chipper and usually steeped heavily in denial, happiness in green is my favourite because it feels something like closing your eyes and tilting your face towards the sun. Happiness in red is distracted and shivery, it comes from an evening surrounded by friends or catching a boy looking, it leads to humming and glazed over eyes. And then there's happiness in blue - it's a late Sunday night with a bottle of wine kind of happiness - it's reluctant, introspective and a little wistful because you know the feeling won't last, it's a quiet contentment that comes from understanding that while the rest of the world is out of control and careering off the rails that now, in this moment, you're doing OK and everything is quiet. My voice goes down a couple of notes when I'm happy in blue, the speed of my speech, usually lightning paced, slows down to be understandable, I feel happy to drift.

As some of you may know my life at the moment is a seemingly endless quest for some kind of purpose. My problem has always been that I'm an "all rounder" presented with far too many options. I know it seems wrong to complain about this, being faced with too many choices is always better than being faced with no choice at all, but I spend most of my life worrying that I picked the wrong course, chose the wrong path and that it's too late to turn back and run in the opposite direction. The first divergence and the one that my mother cites as being the one that I'm most unsure about was the day that I abandoned words. As a child I was in love with words, I still am, but back then they were the things that defined me. When it came down to making a choice between science and language I picked the former reasoning that although I loved both it was science that required the formal training, the further education. There's no real point in sharing this, you understand, except to provide some kind of background to my current confusion. I love science, I find it fascinating but I've been coming to realise more and more that it isn't the research that I find interesting. It's not the results and the charts that stir me - it's our interpretation of them, our reaction to the discoveries that others make.

I may have found a way to marry the two halves of me, or more precisely: those around me may have found it. Content as I am to drift at the moment and unsure as I am about what course I should be taking I decided to let three of the people who know me best, and love me most, give me their points of view and for once I actually listened. From the basic idea, through to the practicalities and finally the overcoming of obstacles it's quite shocking how three people outside my self can so quickly solve all the problems that I've spent the last five years at least constructing.

Why can't I do that?

It's a question of perspective I guess.

Aside from the question of "what am I going to be" the other one I'm facing is "who am I going to be". Oddly, this one is remarkably simpler to answer.

The basics of this is that this winter I will legally be changing my name. I'll still be Alex, I love my first name and despite its history it's too much a part of my identity to change it but I have no such attachments to my middle and surnames. My middle names are easy: I have two and I would only like to keep one of them. As it stands my three names are as such (and considering I have two of the world's most common middle names - in combination anyway - I have no qualms about revealing them to the internet in general, or rather the six people that actually read this blog and the one person who stumbled here via a search engine):

Alexandra Elizabeth Anne


I hate this for several reasons. Most mundanely, it doesn't fit on forms. More personally I dislike the reason I was given all three of my names, officially I was named after "the three princesses of England" which as a sentiment actually makes me want to vomit, my mother had nothing to do with this decision as she was told that she would be having a girl and her name would be as my father decided. Unofficially: I also share my name with one of my father's "ex" girlfriends. Cynical you may say but he chose a rather un-orthodox nickname for me, one I hated as a child and took me eighteen years to finally shake from all but a couple of family members and one or two childhood friends, and it just happens to be the name that she was known by. Still, Elizabeth is a family name - it belongs in part to my mother and my grandmother so I'm happy with it but I figure as long as I have the choice I'd rather drop the Anne - I never use it anyway.

My surname is the main point of this name changing exercise. I have been estranged from my father - by choice (mine, not his) - for over seven years now. My paternal grandmother remarried when I was an infant so she doesn't share my name and, aside from one uncle and his wife, the only family members who do are my father, his father (comments regarding apples and the distance they fall are valid here incidentally) and my two younger brothers - both of whom I've never met, nor care to. It's a name that I feel no connection to. Up until a couple of years ago this was tolerable - my mother had kept her married name when they divorced in 1990 and so sharing my name with her was something I'd grown up with. Then she remarried. I had always planned on taking my husband's surname when I married - purely selfish reasoning on my part, I've wanted to jettison this name for as long as I can remember. But now more and more I'm beginning to feel itchy at the prospect, I'd like to keep my own name and my own identity when, if, I eventually marry but I'm not happy with the identity I have.

And so I have decided to change my name, not just to something random but to my step-father's surname. People have either declared this "sweet" or "weird" and the comments have come in equal measure. There are many reasons behind my choice: to share a name with my mother again, because although he would like to I am too old for my step-father to formally adopt me, because it sounds far, far nicer than my name now.

There, those are the two questions I am facing at the moment. I almost think I have them answered.

6 comments:

VermillionBrain said...

Three things, really quickly:

1) Dammit, everyone is doing these introspective postings. I really have to get some substance and do one too.

2) Good on you. Your name (like everything else I know about you) is beautiful, and you should be able to use it without reminder of bad times.

3) So you preferred to change your name this way than marry me? Damn you, laws that allow people to do such a thing! I was this close! THISCLOSE!!!!!

Girl With Curious Hair said...

There must be something in the air--there is an awful lot of introspection going on lately, which is a good thing if you ask me.

About the science vs. writer: I was in the same place you were when I was a wee young thing. I ended up studying both science and literature, but only working in science. My advice in hindsight--follow the path that brings you most happiness, even factoring monetary goals--because otherwise you'll keep looking back and asking 'what if'.

And finally--how do you handle all the men throwing themselves at you?

Girl With Curious Hair said...

Oh--I totally forgot to mention that I love your color scheme of happiness.

Unknown said...

Vermillion: But what would the protocol for marrying someone with only a single internet name be? Would I become Mrs. Vermillion and have to sacrifice any first name all together? Would I become a crazy hybrid of names? This is why I'm planning on keeping my own identity... oh any marrying someone real ;) No offense or anything sweetness.

Girl With Curious Hair: Thanks, I have a tinted version of all my emotions - I mostly tend to hang out at the blue end of the spectrum for most things - I don't know why I developed it but I findit easier to put my finger on what I'm feeling if it has a colour to it.

re: science vs literature, thanks for the advice, I don't know anyone else who's had to make the choice all my friends seem so singular in their life choices. Though monetary considerations went out the window when I turned down law school. I'd have been on more at 24 than I would be after 30 years in science.

Unless we're confusing the words men and Vermillion then I'm afraid you know something I don't!

Anonymous said...

I read your post earlier today but my kid was screaming and not napping and it was bad scene. So needless to say, I did not comment at the time. But I really wanted a smoke. And a drink. Guh.

I never could cotton to the idea that we all had to settle down in our early twenties and figure out what we were going to do for the rest of our lives. Shoot, I'm ten years post-collegiate and still have no idea (besides the care and feeding of my crazy-ass child)what I want to do with the rest of my life.

Do what you do for a while and then feel free to change your mind.

Aw man, my son has three names. We figured that in case he abhors his first name (Interestingly a variation on your own.), he would have two others to choose from, both the middle names of his paternal great-grandfathers. I totally hope he doesn't hate us for making his name a practicality nightmare.

I feel the same way about my maiden name. While my relationship with my dad isn't as strained as yours, we're not best friends. Fortunately, I gained a new name in marriage and subsequently moved up in the alphabet. Hooray for antiquated patriarchal traditions!

Change your name. Think of it as an identity tattoo. New ink.

Anonymous said...

"what am I going to be"

Being an all-rounder is only good until uni, where it becomes a curse. I chose language first, but next year back to science. Harder in that order, but I've decided to study EVERYTHING I want.

"who am I going to be"

I've also seriously thought about changing my name, but it would break my family's heart. So I decided to call myself what I want, while the rest of the world knows me by the original. I have heard this is one of the final steps of disassociation on the way to good and proper madness.