girls on film?

at 14:43

Friday 22 February 2008

Just a quick hit posting (I'm absolutely blitzed at work at the moment which is awesome) to draw your attention to the following AlterNet article on the imbalance between male and female characters in kids TV programming.

An exerpt from the article:

"Studying 4,000 female film characters, females (from animated girl puppies to grown human women) were more than 5 times more likely than males to be shown as adornment or sexually enticing and three times more likely to be dressed in sexually alluring clothing.
...
Most dramatically, females of all ages were 3 times more likely (10.6% vs. 3.4%) to have unrealistically "perfect" bodies, introducing the skinny ideal at an early age to the minds of young boys and girls."


Something else to take away from the piece: Geena Davis absolutely rules.

5 comments:

VermillionBrain said...

Well, the woman is Charlie Baltimore. You can't expect anything less.

Girl With Curious Hair said...

Well if they didn't adorn the women or sexualize them, how else would people know that there was a female on the screen?

Anonymous said...

so I don't have anything to add about Geena, but I wanted to say that I have never heard/read the word "parenthetically" until I just found your blog. Is that bad?

Well, anyway, I looked it up and I'm smarter now than I was 3 minutes ago.

so thanks.

Nelly said...

I love Charlie...eh Gina I mean. The woman is kick-ass in so many ways. I grew up watching Tom&Jerry try to kill each other, so I don't have a bad body image, I'm just really violent.

Stalk away, Alex :)

-Joker

Unknown said...

I don't know what you're talking about. I would have TOTALLY boned Cheetarah. Now go make me a sammich.