the thing my mother taught me about love

at 16:06

Thursday 31 July 2008

Regular readers will know that my mother and I are incredibly close. We talk about everything, from politics to my choices concerning contraceptives. The one thing we've never really talked about, and no doubt will never really talk about is what it is to be in love. She doesn't feel qualified. Now she'll tell me that she and Grumpy (my wonderful step-father, the man whose name I wear with boundless pride) knew within the second time they met that they wanted to spend the rest of their lives together but she never described it as "falling in love". In fact she has only ever spoken about falling in love once.

We were in the car years ago, long before she and Grumpy met, on the drive to school and a song came on the radio. She said that this is what falling in love should feel like and there were tears in her eyes when she said it because she'd never had it. That same song came on to my ipod just now, and there were tears in my eyes this time because now she really does. I thought you might like it if I shared the song with you, it's by the Mamas and Papas:

Once I believed that when love came to me
It would come with rockets, bells and poetry
But with me and you it just started quietly and grew
And believe it or not
Now there's something groovy and good
Bout whatever we got
And it's getting better
Growing stronger warm and wilder
Getting better everyday, better everyday
I don't feel all turned on and starry eyed
I just feel a sweet contentment deep inside
Holding you at night just seems kind of natural and right
And it's not hard to see
That it isn't half of what it's going to turn out to be
Cause it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday, better everyday
And just like a flower that takes time to bloom
This love of ours is taking time to grow
Ba da da da da da da da da da da da
And I don't mind waitin', don't mind waitin'
Cause no matter how long it takes
The two of us know
That it's getting better
Growing stronger, warm and wilder
Getting better everyday, better everyday
I think I have to say that I think she was right.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember hearing this song when I was young and not understanding what it was. I passed it off as pretty words that rhyme in a song and no more. Seeing the lyrics now reminds me of the song, and I hate to say that I feel that now. Passion, lust, those all explode and burn bright but eventually burn themselves out. True love starts with a small flame and keeps building, never faltering, always moving forward. This is a great song to illustrate that...I'm gonna need to find it now.

Anonymous said...

I must have done something right in a former life, because those lyrics describe me and my husband to an almost-T. Our love actually did start out like an explosion, but I have to say that we have worked very hard to learn how to grow it--something people don't teach you.

The pain was worth it.