a letter to my brand new pair of purple leather boots

at 11:15

Monday 5 November 2007

Dear My Brand New Pair of Purple Leather Boots,

I'll admit it, at first my attraction to you was purely physical, my eyes were caught by your glorious amethyst colour and I was reeled in by your cowboyish vibe. To be honest, I thought it was fleeting - a passing crush that would be over just as soon as I tried you on and found that you didn't fit over my calves, like so many pairs of boots before you. I was skeptical, after all - I had already bought four pairs of shoes on that fateful Saturday (God, was it only two days ago, Boots? It feels like a lifetime) and surely my luck could not be that good?

But as we know, I was wrong. And when my flatmate offered to buy you for me as a belated Birthday gift it seemed like we were fated to be together.

I know that it was risky, taking a chance on you that evening. Pub crawls take their toll on even the most familiar girl and shoe relationships but you stuck with me, and for that I thank you. Miraculously your flat soles allowed me to not only wear a short skirt (my first since the age of eighteen) without feeling sluttish but also kept my legs warm even on the walk back to a random house at 2am. I am so glad, Boots that I did not overlook you for your high heeled counterparts, seductive as they were. Even though you are flat, and my legs are so very, very short, you still gave me the confidence to hook up with a cute boy and you prevented the embarrassing drunken stumbling that so often comes with high heels.

Despite a couple of mis-steps, like when I stepped too hard down on my left foot before your leather had softened and convinced myself I'd broken a toe, you've shown me that not only are you beautiful but also reliable. No other pair of new shoes would have lasted as long, or remained as comfortable the next morning as I trekked the three miles back to the second pub we visited in search of my lost phone. Walking along the riverside blinking into the early morning Sunday sun I thanked you for being comfortable to allow large amounts of hungover walking and for being casual enough to prevent passers by from assuming I'd been out all night. You saved me from the walk of shame, Boots and I'll never forget that.

And now, as you accompany me to work, breathing new life into my standard skinny jeans and vest combo, I feel the time has come to tell you this: I love you, Boots. I promise never to surrender you to a boy's flat out of embarrassment as I did with my suede slingbacks or to donate you to S. Please, say you won't fall apart in a week's time.

Yours in style and comfort,

Alex

ps. Do you also come in teal?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOU ROCK.

Not only for your excellent writing style, but also for your love of shoes.
My brand new, comfortable, I've-been-looking-for-years-for-these red leather boots thank you.

:)

Anonymous said...

Sigh. New boots. And you can wear skinny jeans. I hate your face.

I've been on a quest for a great brown pair for a year. They've got to be just right.

There's a pair of 21-hole Doc's in my closet that have been with me for many a year and many an adventure. I heart them so freaking much.

Wait. Somewhere in there was mention of a random cute boy hookup? Wheeeeee!

Alex the Odd said...

Boo: Aww thanks :) I actually intend to do a photo post concerning my five favourite pairs and the stories behind them. I'll get on that this week so stay tuned.

Manda: It's not that I can wear skinny jeans, I just do. And at least 80% of brands don't even approach the territory of fitting me so never fear!

And yes, random cute boy hookup :D All in all a good weekend - even if you count the encounters with four (yes, 4) boys who were a good idea at the time but now not so much.

Girl With Curious Hair said...

Congrats on the finding beautiful, comfy boots. As someone who has short, muscular calves (why? I'm not a runner.) I dream of knee high boots. Sign.

And of course, skinny jeans just laugh when I look at them.

Alex the Odd said...

gwch: Years of high heel wearing and generations of genetics have left me with calves that are roughly twice as thick as they should be - it is a rare pair of boots that fits. Likewise skinny jeans - I can't even get most brands over my thighs :( (It's all about finding the one pair that fits and then buying three of them.) I'm still not entirely convinced I can pull them off.

On the upside I look kickass in every pencil skirt ever made, a fair trade I'd say.